Top 60s of CUHK
- CUHK was the first (and only) collegiate university in Hong Kong. In 1963, our university was founded as a federation of three existing colleges – Chung Chi College, New Asia College and United College.
- CUHK established Hong Kong’s first graduate school in 1966. The first batch of master’s degrees was awarded the following year.
- The University offered several first-of-its-kind business administration programmes in Hong Kong. It launched the first two-year MBA programme in 1966, followed by a three-year part-time MBA programme in 1977, integrated BBA programme in 1986, and Executive MBA programme in 1993.
- Established in 1972, CUHK’s Department of Translation was the first of its kind in Hong Kong and Asia.
5. CUHK has the largest university campus in Hong Kong, stretching 138.4 hectares and housing 169 buildings!
6. CUHK’s luxuriant campus boasts the highest greening ratio among local universities, with 60% of our campus is covered by vegetation.
7. The Fok Ying Tung Remote Sensing Science Building at United College is the highest point on campus, as well as one of the most important satellite remote sensing research facilities in Southern China.
8. Route H has the greatest number of stops out of all shuttle bus routes – 21 in total!
9. Jockey Club Museum of Climate Change, established at CUHK, was the first museum of its kind in the world!
10. New Asia Water Tower and United College Water Tower are sometimes known as the most ‘mysterious’ buildings at CUHK. They were built in the 70s to store and supply freshwater and saltwater to hostels and buildings on the hillside.
11. The first building on the central campus was the Benjamin Franklin Centre, built in 1969.
12. CUHK’s Herbal Garden has a total area of 100,000 sq ft. It is the largest herbal garden for teaching and research in Hong Kong!
Knowledge transfer for social improvement
According to 2021/22 Annual Report on Knowledge Transfer Recurrent Funding from the UGC:
13. CUHK’s knowledge transfer had the highest annual income among UGC-funded universities, reaching close to HK$1.86 billion!
14. 683 patents were filed and granted in 2021/22, which saw CUHK top the list for UGC-funded universities.
15. 1,494 CUHK staff were members of external advisory bodies in 2021/22, another leading figure among UGC-funded universities.
16. There were 71 new invention disclosures – the highest annual number of inventions at CUHK in the past five years!
17. The University has been a pioneer and the first institution in Greater China to introduce general education as a core subject in the undergraduate curriculum.
18. CUHK launched Hong Kong’s first university-wide Co-operative Education Programme (Co-op @CUHK), redefining the way universities prepare students for career success.
19. CUHK is launching a unique double major programme for students to complete half their degrees in Hong Kong and the other half at its Shenzhen campus.
Pathway to university
From Joint University Programmes Admissions System (#JUPAS) in 2022, the admission statistics for HKDSE (territory-wide) takers reveal that
20. 55% of students achieving 5** in four or more subjects in the HKDSE are admitted to CUHK – the highest among all Hong Kong institutions.
21. Medicine (Global Physician-Leadership Stream) welcomed 41 new students who sat for HKDSE last year and has held the record for the highest median admission scores territory-wide for nine consecutive years!
And, after the final round of JUPAS programme choices, the statistics reveal that
22. CUHK’s Bachelor of Arts in Chinese Studies emerged as the most sought-after JUPAS programme, with 508 students competing for just 10 places – an average of 51 applicants per place.
23. The Integrated Bachelor of Business Administration programme captured the attention of 1,523 JUPAS applicants, making it the most popular choice for aspiring CUHKers.
According to the Best Global Universities Rankings 2023 released by the U.S. News & World Report:
24. CUHK ranked first in Hong Kong and jumped to a record high of gaining 53rd globally!
25. CUHK’s Computer Science subject ranked first in Hong Kong for the third consecutive year and 10th worldwide.
26. CUHK’s Gastroenterology & Hepatology subject ranked first in Hong Kong and climbed five places to third, setting a new record.
27. CUHK ranked first in Hong Kong and third globally in the newly added Artificial Intelligence (AI) subject in 2022.
28. CUHK boasts almost 40 canteens and restaurants – the most among local institutions.
29. United Cooperative Tuck Shop is the first of its kind in local universities. The women workers take full responsibility for shop management and decision making.
30. Café 330, a New Life Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association initiative, is CUHK’s first social enterprise that promotes the concept of holistic health.
31. The Si Yuan Amenities Centre is more than a canteen; it’s a multi-purpose cultural centre with a bar (the one and only on campus!), a projector and a snooker room for student activities and departmental workshops.
We can’t wait to share the other top 60s of CUHK with you in the upcoming months. Stay tuned to our social media!